Friday, December 30, 2011

Abiding in God is LIKE being on Valium... (Offended? Read more...)

Valium


Legally prescribed valium works on the central nervous system to calm you. It does some of the following:
  • it slows down or stops certain nerve signals in the brain
  • used for anxiety, seizures and for muscle spasms
  • calms you to keep you from tensing from pain
  • the calming causes you to let go of concerns of what others think
  • the calming causes you to let go of worrying
God


The comparison to God is that when I abide in Him, surrendering daily, including Him minute-by-minute...instead of cutting Him out and abiding in Myself... In Him, I have peace (calm) and joy which enable me to live above my circumstances. When I say above, I mean less affected by things going on around me.


So when "stuff happens", instead of carrying the weight of that responsibility on myself, I let God carry it. Oh, I'm still responsible, I do my best, give it my all, but I don't bear the weight of the repercussions.


If God is leading me, it's His deal to do. Whether it fails or succeeds, it's reflects on Him. He has a plan, He will work it out. I am to do my part, but I don't have to figure it all out or worry whether or not it's all going to work out because He already knows what's around the corner.


Don't forget that part. NOTHING TAKES GOD BY SURPRISE.

But what if when something that appears "bad" happens, such as a job loss, that is God's way of closing one door in order to open another? Or His way of stretching your faith? Or using circumstances to stretch YOU?


God works outside of the box, circumstances are temporary and sometimes a situation appears bad but works out for good. (Romans 8:28)


If I am resting in Him, trusting Him, then when that "thing" happens, I just tell Him I'm waiting for Him to work it out and I will continue to put forth my best effort and attitude no matter what is going on around me.


This free's Him to do His thing. It keeps our pride out of the way.


It keeps us flexible to adapt to how He works around us.


If we are in pride, wrapped up in ourselves, reacting and responding to situations in a self-centered way... we are not helping Him in His work - in fact we are likely getting in the way.



Abiding in God...is like being on valium because you don't have the worries, cares, concerns (the unbalanced ones) because you are letting Him have those. You are just living life, with His gifts of peace and joy and living in alignment with Him and His efforts. 

No comments: